I wasn’t able to get much done today, other than going to Watercolor class and mostly-finishing an in-class assignment (I just remembered that I need to add a grey background). Portfolios were due today; if I had checked my notes, I would have known, but it entirely slipped my mind. As it was, I had everything with me, packed up in a partially-empty tape-bound pad; but everything was loose. I’m hoping nothing gets lost.
As a precaution, I’ve numbered my pieces 1-15; though there is a 1A and 1B, from back when I thought I’d use Alizarin Crimson in place of Permanent Rose and Prussian Blue in place of Winsor Blue. (I filled out two different color sheets with the differing pigment sets.) It isn’t quite that simple; they’re different colors.
Prussian Blue is a green-blue like Phthalo (Winsor) Blue, it’s just a lot darker and a lot more muted, whereas Phthalo Blue (Green Shade) looks almost neon. Alizarin is both deeper and stronger than Permanent Rose, and behaves differently in mixes, because of it — even though they’re both violet-leaning red pigments.
It’s really amazing, the difference between student-grade paints and professional-grade paints. My yellows can actually hold their own in mixes, now. I pick up pigment, put it down in a puddle in my palette, and see the pigment immediately disperse like a cloud. It’s just a lot easier to use (with the possible exception of grainy pigments like Viridian).
Tomorrow, I have five hours of work, then I come home and can do some homework for a few hours before I have to leave for my field trip. Which is at night. In Downtown. WHY.
I’ve realized that I will have to take two trips out to the same museum in order to avoid overloading myself, tomorrow. Not only is there a field trip for my capstone class, but I have to draw animal parts as prep work for Figure Drawing, sometime within the next two weeks. (The stuffed animals are at this museum.) Maybe I’ll aim for the 17th (Sunday) for the Figure Drawing homework.
The animal studies are due on the 19th, same as my Series assignment; though the latter has been cut down to 4-6 pieces, instead of 6-9 pieces. I had hoped to make it out earlier — say, this Sunday, to draw animal parts — but I’ve got too much going on with my Creative Process project. I only have two more weeks to work on it.
Speaking of which — I’ve decided to work in my Wet Media pad for said project, as it’s the only paper I have which I won’t have to cut down to get the correct proportions, and which will take water-based media and colored pencil. I’m thinking that this is near-B5-size paper: 10″x7″. Because I wanted to work with a live area with a 3:2 ratio between length and height — if I tape off 1/2″ on each side, I’ll have a 9″x6″ area to work within. I’ll then have to place the brads approximately 1/4″ inside the live area (the area with actual art).
I’m really glad that I just wrote that, because I had previously thought that I’d need to tape off 1″, all around. But that leaves me with a live area of 8″x5″. I thought my test paper looked a little small…
And, yes, I am thinking of fudging it a little and just taping off 3/8″ on each side, given that I’ll need to put the brads inside the live area, anyway — and my tape is 3/4″ wide. I’ve had issues with this paper untaping itself when wet, before.
Or, well, why not tape off 1/4″? That will leave me with…9.5″x6.5″. Close enough, yea? I’ll need to visually gauge the proportions, though.
I’m always looking for little ways to start working — tonight, I might be able to separate out the pages and tape them down to the Masonite boards I’ve obtained for this reason. I suppose it wouldn’t be too much to use an X-acto on the papers, rather than just ripping them apart on the dotted line. Once they’re taped down, I can start my drawings. After the drawings are satisfactory, I can move on to watercolor. After the watercolor, I can strengthen anything I need to with colored pencil.
I’m still undecided about whether I should use Microns for outlining, or not. Nor do I know if I should lay down the Micron first (which I know will work) and then lay watercolor over it; or do watercolor first and then lay down Micron (which I am not sure will work). Micron over colored pencil will almost definitely not work; wax and oil (as in colored pencils) can clog the nibs. I’m not sure I want to go with a cartoony style, though.
And I did just remember: I can use carbon pencil to add in any dark values that I may need, if I have a hard time making the watercolor deep enough.
Well, little steps: tape down the paper, work on the sketches, then worry about whether you’ll need intense black areas — prior to coloring. Another requirement, though: we have to stick with the same materials, so no carbon pencil on one and not on the rest.
I’m feeling pretty good about this, I think.