I now have my final two Studio projects in-progress. I think that it will be…really nice. One project in particular is based on stenciling, kind of a Graphic Art-type project. I’ve begun blocking out my areas of color already — in the final presentation I should have black + white + two intermediate greys. I get to work on this tomorrow! I’m kind of psyched. (I almost worked on it instead of posting here, but felt the need to write.)
The process of blocking out differing areas of color really…causes me to make decisions on-the-fly as to what to include and what to leave blank. I’m thinking that I’ll use a light grey background with two different darker tones, plus areas of white. I was just introduced to the joy of white Sharpies yesterday. Pretty cool.
I realized some time after we began working on these yesterday that we were supposed to divide our photos into different tones on our huge prints of these. That was supposed to be what the Sharpies (black) and white chalk were supposed to be used for. Imagine my confusion when I tried to mark on my acetate with white pastel and found it didn’t work. I mean, absolutely didn’t work. No grip, no mark. Then what were we supposed to do with these? I didn’t know until I looked at what some of the less-prepped students were doing (that is, the people without all their materials) — they were using the white chalk on the printouts. Something to be said for taking it slower, eh?
I will also have to work on a composition for the reverse side — the theme is “shoes.” I’m planning on using the shoes that look like combat boots but have a wide stacked heel. I do like them, even though they’re hard to get my foot into and don’t have enough padding in them to take my standing in them for nine hours.
Then there is ink drawing for my Figure Drawing class. I wasn’t doing really great at it until my prof suggested blocking in the entire figure with water or a very light wash, and then adding details. Once I started working like that, it was much easier and I was much more successful. I need to work on using a full range of tones from lightest gray to black, though. I was hesitant on using the deeper tones, even though I did realize — today — that the pieces with the deeper shades were more…gravitational, I guess. This is even though I thought I was screwing them up in the process.
One of my brushes — my Mao Little Ying — is also on its last legs. I found when I tried to use it that the bamboo handle is split nearly the entire length of the brush on two sides. I’m not sure if I left it resting in a puddle of water, or what — though I do know now that I probably really should hang them to dry, if not just taking most of the water out of them before putting them away.
The only things holding that brush together are the end cap on one side and a piece of string, on the other. I really did like that brush. I suppose I can go tomorrow and see if there are any comparable brushes at the one smaller store I do visit. Or…I suppose I could try Japantown. Not that I really want to take a trip over there at this point in the semester…bridge tolls plus parking and all that, though I suppose it is also actually almost the beginning of next month.
I also realized yesterday that I actually needed far less ink for my sumi drawings than I thought I did. This means I can conserve some, I guess? I’m not sure if I should get a glass eyedropper from Whole Foods or something, or keep using the disposable ones. (The water cups at school smell like mold, I’ve found — now that I know that the smell of the clay in my high school Ceramics class was probably mold…)
Today was supposed to be my next-to-final presentation in Art History, but it was put off until next week. I’m a little torn as to whether to continue to work on it. At the least, I can find a better source than Wikipedia for my opening comments, and I should have the time to do it, now.
So, there is that Art History presentation to give, and then it’s just our Final assignments and that Final presentation! I have three more weeks to go. I can do this.