…it must be the hour.
However, I was able to take some photos before the sun set, today. I’m not sure how many of them would actually be interesting to anyone but me, but…well. I just took a shower and am waiting for my hair to dry before going to bed.
Earlier, I did what homework I could…until meaning stopped coming out of my reading. At that time, I got out the cabochons to see if I could pair any with the lacy pink thing. What I got was this:
…which was kind of interesting. I realized that I might have some Czech seed beads which matched the cabochon exactly. Because I recently reorganized things, I knew exactly where to look:
These beads, I got a long, long time ago, at a store which closed down for (likely) good reasons. I’m not sure of the name of the color, but they have a rainbow coating on them like the above cabochon (called AB, or “Aurora Borealis”), and they’re pretty close in color. I’m fairly certain they’re size 11º.
I’ve wanted to use my cabochons in bead embroidery before, but haven’t, because I haven’t had the beading foundation you see in the background of both of these images.
Beading foundation is like stiff interfacing, and in some cases can be literal normal interfacing, like the kind used for sewing (usually it’s called “Pellon,” for the brand name, at least where I live); however, what you see above is called “Lacey’s Stiff Stuff” and is supposed to be really good, in terms of holding stitches and not stretching. It can be hard to find in person and expensive once found, though. This piece is about 8.5″ x 11″ and bought on top of bulk discount pricing, so it wasn’t …individually, that expensive. 😛
I do have Pellon interfacing as well (at one time I was trying millinery), which has a bit more give to it and is much thicker. I had heard not to use it, though, in one of my books (Dimensional bead embroidery, by Jamie Cloud Eakin) because Lacey’s is supposed to be better for this specific task (i.e., bead embroidery). As a consequence, I put the idea aside…for too long.
The photo to the left displays two hanks of Czech size 13º seed beads…I think. The pink ones may be 15ºs — which will help in bezeling cabochons. The coppery ones are likely actually glass coated in copper (there is a term called “Galvanized” which might apply to these, but I’m not sure because of the circumstances under which I got them [bead convention]), and are called “Charlottes” because one side of the bead is ground into a flat facet. (No, I don’t know the origin of the term.)
The triangular thing is a stackable bead tray, here with some of the Czech 11º seed beads you saw in the hank above — only here, they’re loose and ready to use. Of course I came back into the house today and promptly accidentally overturned the (entire) tray onto the floor…with a jacket cuff or something. Hunting stray beads happens frequently, here. And it doesn’t help that they bounce, roll, and scatter on linoleum, and can get totally lost in carpeting. Though holding a light parallel to the floor helps to find them, at least when they’re shiny.
This, to the right, is a photo of the beads I am fairly sure to use in this project…the exception being the copper beads (unstrung from the above hank) in the lower right vial.
I did some work taking inventory and found that altogether, I have 80 of the “Peaches and Cream” dagger beads (upper right) and 96 Fuschia 4mm Czech firepolished glass beads (far left, center). Each inch, about, of the pattern I made uses four dagger beads, and maybe 5 firepolished ones.
Given this, I have enough beads for a 20″ necklace…at least, in outer diameter. The three long center vials are Japanese seed beads (typically sold in vials); the two on the right contain size 11º, while the one on the left contains size 8º. I’m pretty sure that the far right vial of these center three contains dyed glass, however, meaning those beads are unlikely to stay that color forever. Everything else, though…I think is relatively stable (though I’m not sure about the size 8ºs…which came from a different supplier that doesn’t give marks for lightfastness).
Oh, and: the little short vials on the far left and far right, did not come with these beads. They’re the “tiny” vials I mentioned in earlier post with regard to storage. I got them from a store which specializes in plastics and fiberglass, for about $0.20 each. This is kind of crazy inexpensive, when I see that there are smaller clear containers (the AMAC tiny ones) which cost 4.5x as much and are less secure. If they weren’t $0.90 each, I would buy them to store crystals, but seriously. That’s kind of a splurge, for storage. (It wouldn’t be, however, if I were selling gemstones or crystals — as I’ve seen those boxes used before.)