It took me until 5 PM today, to fully wake up. Accordingly, even though I am tired now…I know I should go to bed; I just don’t want to. I did, however, get up the courage to play around with some colors.
Long story short, all of the non-glittery FW acrylic inks I have at the moment, are transparent, and neither my Micron nor Copic fineliners bleed under them. The glitter in the pearlescent color I’ve got, however, blocks some of the underlying drawing, even when there isn’t that glare off of the surface (the glare is illustrated above).
Though I’ve tried to color-correct for this, all of the photos in this post were taken under artificial light. Therefore, some of the more delicate aspects (like the differences between those three yellows up there) are probably not going to be as apparent as they would under full sunlight.
So, up next was the attempt at color blending. These guys do a decent job of blending wet-into-wet if you drag the colors into each other with the brush (and not so much water), as indicated on that inside corner between red-orange and yellow-orange; they don’t do so well if you let the water and pigment pool and then dry on its own.
The latter technique was what achieved the blot in the upper right corner of this photograph. I’m thinking it would have been alright if the amount of water had been far less. But it’s an obvious difference from Western-style watercolor paints, which would probably not have dried like that. You can see as well that glazing appears very effective. I was working on Canson Montval cold-press paper, here.
Drawing a new color into a brushstroke which has already been laid down has the same subtle effect, as seen here:
…and I can actually somewhat see the colors separating out in the bluer “tail” of this doodle. I’m not sure if that’s due to incomplete mixing or to the pigments actually settling out. In any case, I’m really surprised that some of the color mixes I’m showing here look as decent as they do, because they looked pretty bad on my palette. I can just say that. 🙂
At one point I did get the urge to see if these things could work wet-into-wet like regular watercolors. The short answer to that is “no,” at least not when using staining colors, and at the same time having paper which is not fully saturated with water.
The image to the right is the result of attempting to drop a few different colors into what was essentially water which I had spread on the paper, but not allowed to soak in. The stain in the center-top area seems to be the result of Phthalo Blue working its way into the paper itself, as the paper absorbed the water that had been laid on top of it.
I kind of wonder if things would have been different, had I allowed that water to soak in fully before adding in the ink. It would likely have changed the response a bit. I notice that neither the green nor the yellow which I dropped in did the same thing, though, so maybe the difference can be attributed to Phthalo Blue being a staining pigment.
And, right: that same pooling and settling thing happened in the snakes on the right side. I’ve got to remember not to let that happen again, unless I want the effect. 🙂 (It really didn’t look that way when it was wet…then again, I saw a lot of subtle variations when the inks were wet which became difficult to see after they had dried.
Okay, see, and now I want to do a comparison between these and my true watercolor paints…soon, maybe. What I can say is that I have got the saying in mind to let paintings be paintings, and drawings be drawings…I don’t remember who said that, but it is surely difficult to wed the two.
Having said that, I went out on a limb and tried drawing a person tonight. Right now, she’s kind of a wireframe and difficult to see, being totally in pencil. But if I were going to work in illustration, as for a comic book, I really do think that this media would be ideal for that. The transparency of the inks allows inked underdrawings to show through, easily, and the acrylic component in the color allows lower layers of acrylic ink to stay put. However, there is also a bit of an issue in my recording tools not being able to pick up the full spectrum of the light which I can see reflected off of the paper.
I wonder if maybe I should look forward to a dedicated scanner, if I’m going to be doing this stuff seriously (no, that is not a dare)…I just don’t want to deal with public machines where it comes to scans…