Completed what I didn’t, yesterday.

I no longer have to worry about catching up on my Watercolor homework for next week.  This is nice.  I’m also no longer intensely worrying about toxicities of paints.  That’s nice, too.  Pretty much, the worst of it I got was water on my hands from the paintbrush handles, which would contain only a minute amount of pigment, if any at all.  We were working on a “color dictionary” (basically the same thing as the Hue Map I mentioned before), and two color wheels — one with staining colors, and one with nonstaining colors.  I’m really not certain whether the staining/nonstaining dichotomy relates at all to the hue of the paint in general terms, or not.

Last night, I was looking through that book, Blue and Yellow Don’t Make Green by Michael Wilcox, and saw numerous references to Arylide Yellow being a fugitive color (it changes in response to long-term natural light exposure).  I see on a quick web lookup, though, that there are a number of Arylide Yellows.  The one I can find in the book again (my reprint looks like it was made in 2009) is Winsor & Newton Cotman Cadmium Orange Hue 090 — the mix of PY1 Arylide Yellow and PO13 Pyrazolone Orange.  This is the same orange I have which is now discontinued — probably because both of the colors are fugitive.

IMG_1747-ccrw
Swatch tests of the paints I had before classes started. Upper left is Winsor & Newton Cotman half-pan watercolors; below that is W&N Cotman tube watercolors of unknown (and mixed) age; tilted to the right are the colors of gouache I used in Color Dynamics.  I mentioned these in my last post.

It’s kind of too bad that this Cadmium Orange Hue is fugitive.  The color is attractive, and, I could see with the Cadmium Yellow Hue (also an Arylide), a nice approximation of Cadmium Yellow (without the cadmium).  But, as I said before, with this semester I was going to try and ease myself into using serious (i.e. toxic) art materials.  My prof for Watercolor doesn’t seem too concerned with absorbing toxic salts through his skin, though, which kind of puts me at ease (even though I know transdermal absorption is possible) — as he’s pretty old.  🙂

IMG_1749-crw
The top six pigments (except for Arylide Yellow, a.k.a. Cadmium Yellow Hue) are professional grade, and look a lot brighter than what I had with the set of pigments we found in a closet somewhere. 🙂

As a note:  in the image to the right, I started wetting the paper and letting the water soak in before adding color, once I got to Aureolin (Chrome Yellow).  I was having a lot of trouble with the paper sucking up the water and making brushstrokes I couldn’t get rid of.

I’m not sure if I was supposed to put these in order of staining and nonstaining, but the nonstaining pigments are marked with an “N” and staining pigments are marked with an “S”.  The ones which are unmarked, I haven’t looked up, yet.

For some reason, as well, I was having issues with water blooms, which probably stemmed from uneven water distribution on the page as I began.  These were supposed to be gradated washes, but I’ve been having trouble with the “gradation” part.

I did decide to stay home from the field trip today and try it another day of the week — people stress me, and I’ve been told the art festival is a bit “weird.”  I’ll try another date, when the sun is out.

I’m sure everyone here could see how stressed I was last night; it’s been a while since I’ve been over half-time at school, juggling three classes, and also working.  I think the last time I did it, and did it seriously, I was probably in the Library Science program.

Actually, on quick reference, I did it last Spring, but I had an Art History class in there, rather than three production classes.

When I get really stressed, I am not a great person to be around — so even though I did wake up feeling better today, I still called in to work and got my schedule freed up for next week.  My Creative Process teacher wanted us to go to this art festival as soon as possible, but I think it may be a bit different for me in that I’m already stressed from transitioning from doing nothing to having three classes.  He assumes that I will be more stressed later in the semester.  Probably, not so.

Right now I’ve got my entire schedule to work out, and am trying not to fall behind in the second week.  Right now, I really need to work on assigning myself due dates and work times for the sketchbook homework in Figure Drawing.  I’m just not sure whether to do this in hard copy or on a calendar app.  I’ve been avoiding it, so far, because it’s a bit overwhelming — but if I work on it in Excel, where I can scroll my notes off of the screen and have multiple pages (one for each week), I’ll probably be all right.

Tonight, maybe I should work on the rest of the homework for my Creative Process class.  I have a finished piece due on Tuesday, leaving the rest of tonight, half of Sunday, and Monday to work.  Then there is the reading for Creative Process, and seeing if I actually have anything due for Figure Drawing (other than the sketchbook assignments).

Sounds good, eh?  Now, to go to my art journal to try and work out my second piece for Creative Process — or, try and work out landmark due dates in Excel.

Advertisements

Published by

paintedstone

Haru ("Codey") is a second-year Master's student in Library and Information Science, hoping to find a way to fuse their desire to make the world a better place and to finance their art.

2 thoughts on “Completed what I didn’t, yesterday.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s