That is to say, I went to a gallery showing and an artist supply store. The former was really nice; the latter…well, I found out that hardly anything would be opaque enough to use with the black paper I’ve done my underdrawing on, other than Neocolor crayons or my Drawing Pencils.
The kind of awesome part about the art supply store is that I got out of there only paying like $16 for seven Neocolors and a large piece of yellow pastel paper. The drawback is that since that time, I’ve had to think on a plan relating to how I’d use the Neocolors. I was originally planning to use pastel — Conté crayons and Prismacolor NuPastels both will cover the black of the paper, but they need to be fixed before transport.
Given how cold it has been (for us in California; it’s probably mild to most people elsewhere), I’m kind of not looking forward to spraying fixative…I’d have to do it outside and away from heat sources, to avoid the danger of fire. Then I’d have to leave it out there until it dried.
I have an idea as to what to do with my drawing, which is to make the succulent leaves diaphanous and with a lighter crayon, draw in veins (which I couldn’t see in the original, but hey, artistic license). The actual difficulty of this is how to get them to look like they’re glowing, as in the photo I have of them, they’re backlit — so the sun is shining through them.
I should get on top of the next two readings. I know my prof didn’t want us to read later chapters before finishing the current one; but I’m seriously behind, at this point, and I only have three more weeks to complete the portfolio. I suppose the good part is that I’ll have Fridays clear, now, to work.