I am really…in a state of either nonmotivation or disgust at this screenwriting homework.
Bright side — I’ve decided that it’s OK to record one of my mandala trials, here. I talked with my sibling, who encouraged me to share. In Art/Fear as well…the authors talk about how a support network for artists basically disappears after classes are over. I’m thinking that maybe I can use this space to mitigate some of the lack of support for artmaking that happens outside of the class structure…though I do have family and friendship support, at least somewhat.
I haven’t shown you all much of my more recent work…the stencil compositions, in particular, and the self-portrait. Both of those are in acrylics (we can’t use oils in our building because of ventilation issues). Then there is the ink wash drawing, which I’m not too fond of. It was a technical exercise for me.
The self-portrait, I’ve shied away from posting because it kind of looks like me. Not enough so that it would be obvious to a stranger, but obvious enough so that if someone were browsing this blog at my job and someone else saw it and knew me, they’d probably recognize me. In which case, I probably actually shouldn’t post it.
However, the stencil project…that’s fine, if we don’t take into account the fact that I should have used another stencil to mask out some areas on the side with the shoes. It would have been $8 extra to do that, but I didn’t get the extra acetate sheet, so there is some guesswork in the painting which is obvious to me. (The front side of that one was supposed to be a self-portrait as well, but I avoided my face, as I didn’t want to be recognized.)
I really want to be working on the mandala project, but I find myself freezing up. It’s silly, somewhat — I don’t want to mess up my folded blanks. It’s like, how cheap is the paper, Haru? How cheap is the paper? (But I only get four sheets of each color!)
But the above mandala skeleton…it has some folds in there which I’m not quite sure I know how to reproduce. I was switching back and forth between folding and drawing, and I wasn’t recording how I was folding the paper, thinking that the relevant points, edges, or lines would be obvious enough when I creased it again.
Note to myself: I just realized one of the mystery folds is between the corner and midpoint of an adjacent side…
So, you can see where I have some decisions to make as to what colors I’ll put, where. I definitely see blue and green in this one, probably some hints of yellow, at least, too. I could put in some ultramarine and diluted alizarin crimson or magenta… This one has a floral feel to me. I should probably trace it out on Layout or tracing paper, and then work out the colors with my colored pencils. The reason I am hesitant to do that on the origami paper itself is that I want to keep a clean master copy.
Or — hey, I just realized this. Instead of photographing the master copy, I can copy it in my printer and print out a duplicate, which I can then color!
I’m trying not to make the color scheme too close to Skull #2, a.k.a. “Butterfly Soul,” even though I did really like what was going on, there. I can probably deepen the blues and cool down the greens, somewhat, so that the pinks and yellows will stand out against the background. I should remember that I can intermix colors to harmonize the palette…and that not all of these areas need to be a solid color. In addition, I don’t have to start all my lines from a vertex for the thing to turn out nicely.
If I had been braver, I would have worked on this today, specifically instead of working on the screenplay. But I hung out in bed for a while, choosing to work on neither and just be frozen instead of willingly defying my need to work on homework.
I need to work on that.