Actually got a lot of good work done, today!

I did actually get to work on one half of my skull composition, though I don’t have any good pics now because of the problem of the light source and potentially-wet paint.  🙂  I was right in one regard; adding the plaid in behind him gives an air of humor to the composition.  At the same time, my color scheme — I’m wondering if it implies an African reference or an East Asian reference, more (the plaid is gold and green on a red background).  Or a lumberjack reference.

It probably is a lumberjack reference — the original name “Maurice” was a reference to the TV show Northern Exposure, if I’m recalling correctly.  I happen to take up a sociological niche where I am also vulnerable to the “lumberjack” stereotype as well, though as things stand now, I think my manner of dress is developed and non-stereotypical enough to deflect that.  (I really don’t fit much of any stereotype…)

I began to attempt to fill in the whites on the skull and teeth with Titanium White and Yellow Ochre tints, then felt that it was probably okay for me to stop.  For some reason, too — the colors aren’t coming out right on my camera.  I’m not sure if it’s a lighting thing or a display thing on my camera, or some kind of over- or under-exposure thing because of the large fields of bright red and white.  In any case, I can try and tweak those on the digital image, once I can get a decently lighted photo.

I feel now too like I should have taken a photo of this when it was less-developed; particularly after sealing the underpainting, and then after laying in the first reds.  The plaid texture really didn’t take much time at all to soften the image…textiles must be good for that, yes?

Other than that, I’ve spent most of the day attempting to clean my areas of the house (my room, my computer room, my craft/art areas, and the bathroom — though I have barely touched the bathroom, at this point).  I really do want to send off for some surfactant for suminagashi…but I’ll need to get a rechargeable debit card for this, just for safety’s sake.  (I’m reminded of this because of the aluminum vat that I noticed today under my altar in the computer room.)

Right now the positive thing is that I feel a lot better having gotten some of the chaos in my areas under control, and I feel more able to work on my art, now that I know I’m not neglecting everything else to do it.  I still have six more pages to go for Art History (that was me not wanting to read, and taking a break every couple of pages).

Anything else…?  I could dust and organize the altar table more fully, check out the beads in my Art drawers to see if I can even still remember what I wanted to use them for, catalog and shred my receipts, and clean the vanity and bathroom.  Then there are the printouts that I never know what to do with.  Maybe I should put them into a binder; I have an almost-empty one staring me in the face.

I’m thinking also that when I’m having a hard time waking up, maybe it would help to put on some music to stimulate my mind into wakefulness.  It’s normally hard for me to fall asleep with music on.  It was a really good thing for me, though, to have the task of cleaning my spaces.  It kind of gently nudged me awake, and gave me a task which was simple and methodical.  After that, and having thought about my composition all day, I was more ready to work on it when the time came.

Advertisements

Published by

paintedstone

Haru ("Codey") is a second-year Master's student in Library and Information Science, hoping to find a way to fuse their desire to make the world a better place and to finance their art.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s