Woo hoo! Finally! I’m done!

I finally finished coloring Bamboo!  Now I can work on other things!  😀

Layout/inking
This is how “Bamboo” looked at my last critique in Fall 2014.

I will show the overall image, uncolored, first.  I held off on coloring it at my last critique because I didn’t want to rush it, though then I found myself facing other life tasks over the holidays.

While it was nice to get a break, I had wanted to get back to this for the first two weeks of vacation.  It was kind of frustrating to have my time taken up with other things.

The image following is how it looks colored, today.  It doesn’t look as vivid as it does IRL because I was using evening light without a flash, and because I still don’t have a good graphics editor.

Bamboo, colored.
After layers and layers of coloring with Prismacolor, Faber-Castell Polychromos, and a store-brand of colored pencils.

This image doesn’t quite get the detail, though.  It’s probably just way too small — this was done on 18″x24″ paper, and I ended up using 1/3 of my Chartreuse Prismacolor pencil on the vacuole details.

This is a reason to try the Lyra Color-Giant pencils, if I’m going to be doing gigantic compositions like this which need fine detail and also a large amount of pigment…

 

Here is a detail photo, before coloring.

This image shows the logic of most of the pattern.
Maths.

 

This image shows the basic logic of most of the pattern.  It took a while for me to figure out what I was doing.  (I still can’t find whatever I drew the initial pattern on.)

I did need to use implied equilateral triangles (as versus isosceles) if I wanted everything to be square to all sections that mattered.

 

And here is a photo of the same area, after coloring:

Little bit, colored
I wish I could have spent more time on coloring so that the marks could not be seen, but as it was, I did my best while still trying not to have this project take another month.

Each of these six mid-sized straw-colored images surrounding the central cross-section has a small message in it.  They’re basically encouragements which popped up in my mind as I was trying to figure out how to conquer my procrastination.

As you can see, the personality of the piece really changed dramatically with the addition of color.

 

There is no way I could have known at the beginning that it was going to turn out as it did.  Now all that remains is to take more well-lighted photos of this, as I don’t know whether the Prismacolors or the store-brand of colored pencils are lightfast.  I also realize that since I put such a heavy coating of Chartreuse Prismacolor in there, there’s a chance I might get wax bloom, eventually.  Prismacolor does sell a fixative for this, but I’ve never used it.

Or, hey!  I just realized I could use a blending marker or pencil over the colors, to get them smoother.  Have to think about that…

Advertisements

Published by

paintedstone

Haru ("Codey") is a second-year Master's student in Library and Information Science, hoping to find a way to fuse their desire to make the world a better place and to finance their art.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s